You know the one I’m talking about, right?
- The call that makes your pulse race, your heart sink, your blood pressure spike and the clock stop?
- The call that makes you abandon your grocery cart in the aisle and disregard every traffic rule and speed limit?
- The call that makes everything you griped about today or this MONTH irrelevant and ridiculous?
Yesterday, I got that call. Actually — it was a text.
“Dad in an ambulance headed to ER, call Hal.”
First you freeze. Then you pray. Then you move into action. You’re looking a little nervous, so let me just tell you — he’s okay now. We are still having tests done this week and everything seems fine. (But if you pray, hey – I won’t be mad if you add Robert Owensby to your list 😉 But back to ‘the Call’ … While I was driving, I was evaluating my day’s appointments.
- Cancel hair stylist (I’m declaring ombre hair is in for a few more days)
- Have grocery clerk put my cart in the cooler and get spouse or teenager to rescue those later
- Kids have to be picked up at 2:30 and 3 pm…think about that later
- Work? Well, I work for me…so I’ve now given myself the day off.
And even in my panic as I drove, I had a HUGE wave of relief wash over me. I had a HUGE wave of gratitude that I COULD just drop everything and go. No explaining, No excuses, Nobody’s business but mine. In a flash of memories…I recalled hard business days, hard financial days, hard client days and blood, sweat and tears learning new things, failing and falling over and over again.
And when I got ‘the call’ – it was ALL worth it.
- I’m not the most successful business person you know.
- I’m not the best-dressed, most beautiful or most well-known.
- I’m not rolling in assets or cash and I do not own one designer ANYTHING (shoes, bag, luggage, car – nada)
But I have created freedom to handle ‘the call.’ — And honestly — that is my biggest desire for you. I mean it. As I’ve spent my last few months on a mini-sabbatical of sorts (that is a topic for another day), I’ve been reevaluating my mission or purpose or even what I want for YOU.
- I don’t care about millions. Really.
- I don’t care about status.
- I don’t care if I’m in the ‘cool kids’ club for marketers, social media, business or authors.
- I don’t care what I drive, wear or drink.
I care about how you handle ‘the call!’
Your call may not be about a parent. Your call might be:
- About a child
- About your health
- About your job
- About a world disaster that needs your expertise
- About kids that need a home
- About a massive repair your home needs
- About your partner’s job loss
- About ____________________
My goal is that you are equipped to handle this, with finances, with flexibility and the freedom to choose. Yesterday I didn’t have to worry if I ‘had a day to take’. I didn’t have to stress about lesson plans or making sure someone could cover for me. I didn’t have to wonder how I would cover my bills after being docked a day’s wage. I just didn’t. That isn’t bragging. That just is. It is 16 years of daily choices. 16 years of messing up and getting a few things right. I love to be positive. Focus on the GOOD.
But today…I want to challenge you to set your goals differently.
How might this shift your thinking or planning?
[This is a repost from about 18 months ago…everyone is fine. But as we look at New Years and New Goals and New Lives – THIS is still my heart’s desire.]