Our freakishly Jetsons kind of world
Here was the day’s events…
- I got cash from an ATM – no human required.
- I got my groceries at the self-checkout – no human required.
- I got gas from a pump – no human required.
- I got my car washed at a drive-thru – no human required.
- I got into the airport through an automated toll system – no human required.
- I got my boarding pass at a kiosk – no human required.
- I tagged my own bag and put it on the belt – no human required.
I never needed a human until I got to security and they wanted to put my gear (and my person) through another machine to make sure I wasn’t endangering other humans. #irony
These were all jobs once upon a time.
- Bank Tellers
- Grocery Clerks
- Gas Pump Attendants
- Car Washers
- Toll Takers
- Airline Ticket Agents
- Bag Checkers
What makes us think ANY job is secure?
Why rest in ease that ANY lifestyle is set?
- Keep upping your skills.
- Make sure you are invaluable, cross trainable and not too dependent.
- Start something on the side.It’s a scary, automated freakishly-close-to-the-Jetsons kind of place we live in these days.Make sure you aren’t automated out of the picture and out of a paycheck.
I’d love to hear from you below with how you are taking steps to protect yourself from being automated-out.
[Yep – I cover how to start something on the side in ‘The Barefoot Executive’ ]